What is visco-elastic foam?
Visco-elastic foam, also called “Memory foam”, has a cellular structure able to respond to the body’s temperature and to conform to the body’s shape. This makes it able to maintain its original shape.
Memory foam was originally developed by NASA for use by astronauts, in order to help them during periods of increased G-forces, such as lift off and re-entry.
The idea was to create a kind of foam that would adapt to the body temperature and weight of the astronaut and would conform to the shape of the body, providing the perfect amount of support over an extended period of time.
Why sleeping on a visco-elastic foam mattress?
During the years the development of this particular technology has never stopped and started to be widely used for its particular ability to adapt to the body temperature and weight, and for its ability to absorb vibrations.
When we sleep, the weight of our body is normally spread on the mattress in particular areas (shoulders, hips and pelvis), which are called “pressure points”. This causes a reduction of blood pressure: for this reason, even when we sleep, our body keeps moving to reduce this pressure phenomenon, and to avoid irritating formications.
Sleeping on a visco-elastic mattress, which “remembers” the shape of the body, the weight is spread equally on the whole mattress, reducing pain and keeping a constant spinal pressure. The sleep is significantly quieter, for there are fewer changes of position during the rest.
Why Slow Emotion?
The Pelma Research and Development Laboratory, always trying to create better products, in collaboration with the most important raw material suppliers, developed a new technology based on VPF (Variable Pressure Foaming) Technology: a new kind of visco-elastic foam, characterized by superior features, extreme softness, and highly sensitivity to body temperature and weight, that gently conforms to the shape of the body, providing the perfect amount of support over an extended period of time.
Slow Emotion Features
- ANALLERGIC: like all polyurethane foams
- TRANSPIRING: its particular structure with open cells makes it particularly suitable for applications in which a prolonged static nature is required, thanks to its ability to remove humidity
- ERGONOMIC AND COMFORTABLE: it conforms easily to the body’s shape and gets back to its original shape in more than 5 seconds
- COMPATIBLE WITH THE ENVIRONMENT AND RECYCLABLE: it does not contain CFC/HCFC, formaldehyde, plasticizing materials and phthalates
- HYGIENIC: it passes the wood-test, and it is anti-mould and antibacterial (certification in progress)
- FIRE-RESISTANT: variant VECM fulfills the British Standard 5852 Part II
- LONG-LASTING: it was developed to keep its features in long periods of time
- TESTED: the wide range of thermo-sensitiveness makes it rigid at low temperatures, but it becomes soft again in contact with the body
- UNIQUE: completely developed with Pelma technologies to be unique and hard to clone, it is not produced in patterns: for this reason it has uniform density and mechanical and physical properties
- CERTIFIED: OEKO-TEX ® STANDARD 100 Class I fulfilled
cushions and mattresses, for baby products, such as pillows and mattresses, thanks to its permeability to air; it is used also in medical applications, thanks to its certified softness; in house furniture is widely used in armrests and backrests in sofas and armchairs; in gyms it is used for the creation of mats, thanks to its antibacterial properties.
It is widely used also in automobile industry and building, thanks to its sound-proofing and isolation properties.
In order to satisfy any of our customers’ needs, Slow Emotion can be sold in blocks, plates, modelled blocks and rolls.